Monday, December 07, 2009

December 7th / A Pirate's Treasure

Arrrrgh!

Tonight we had a family meeting. We showed Ethan that "Ethan the Pirate" is going to follow the path to reach the pirate's ship:

We made a sign that shows the family rules and made a little "Ethan the Pirate" guy that we will move forward (or backward) when Ethan is following the rules (or not).

Three-year-olds are really something else. Some moments I'm not sure if I'm going to make it (the wailing and loud crying are the worst and have about drove us over the edge) and other times I'm thankful for a kid that sings little songs in the grocery store, makes up stories about Santa, helps me in the kitchen, and whispers "I 'ove you" in my ear.

So we took action, and now I'm waiting to see if Ethan will respond to some extrinsic motivation (he'll get a "treasure" from a little chest when he reaches the ship) or if he'll crack under the pressure.

When we were done with our family meeting, Ethan scurried to the dress-up bin and pulled out his pirate costume, and proceeded to play with the treasure chest and exclaim, "Arrrggh!" for the rest of the night.



Kate also wanted in on the action. It's kind of funny that she chose the cop hat.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristin,
I think that is a great idea and very creative sign. Thank you for your honesty about having a 3 yr. old little boy. I'll be calling you in a few years!
Stacy and Jimmy

Spring said...

What a good idea to do a post each day in December. Maybe next year!

Sheree said...

This is clever! Good luck with it. Too cute.

Angela Flicker said...

What a fantastic idea! You are so positive and creative. What a super mom you are. I hope Ethan is getting close to that lost treasure. Arrgghh!