Monday, July 12, 2010

Fortunately, Unfortunately

It was Father's Day. . . Sunday, June 20th, 2010.

The kids and I had just gotten home from church and were setting up a blanket on the back patio so we could eat outside. Tim was out of town on a well-deserved guy-trip, and was due back by supper time.

Unfortunately, Ethan had been on a "locking doors" kick recently and locked all three of us out, thinking he was just playing a silly joke on us.  Fortunately, Kate was outside with us, unlike the first time we were locked out (when we just ran to the open door at front of the house).

Fortunately, I had just brought out a big bowl of watermelon.  We were hungry!  Unfortunately, the chicken nuggets were still in the microwave. Fortunately, nothing was cooking on the stove.  (Unfortunately, I found out later that the refrigerator door was left wide open for the remainder of this adventure.)


Fortunately, we can always get in our garage using the keyless entry.

Unfortunately, Ethan had also locked the door from the garage to the house.

Fortunately, I had left a set of car keys in the car, but unfortunately, this particular set did not include a key to the house.

I checked all the windows to see if any on the ground level were open while Ethan rang the doorbell and called, "Is anyone home!! Open the door!!".  Fortunately, our house is safe and secure from burglars.  Unfortunately, our only option was for me to climb a ladder to the only open window in the entire house, our master bedroom window.  Fortunately, Tim had taught me how to use the ladder properly.  Unfortunately, I had worn a dress to church.

Fortunately, I have really helpful neighbors who would help me in a pinch.  Unfortunately, I had cleaned out all my dresser drawers that morning and had various lacy unmentionables lying all over my bedroom.  I love lacy things.  I do not love my neighbors seeing them.

For the next hour and a half, I weighed my options, while Ethan wondered about his chicken nuggets.

I searched the garage for something that I could change into.  I found an entire box of clothes that we had been meaning to take to the thrift store.  All of them were Kate and Ethan's.  I found Tim's soccer bag, which had socks, shoes, and several shirts, but no shorts.  I was not about to climb that ladder and crawl through the window in a skirt.  That would be just as embarrassing as a neighbor seeing the contents of my (dresser) drawers.

I could wait for four hours for Tim to get home from his weekend trip.  But that would mean the kids missing nap and lunch, and me missing whatever I planned on doing during quiet time that day.

At one point, as I journeyed to the garage to find a diaper to change Kate (surely there would be one in the depths of my car), my neighbor was passing with her dog and asked to see our deck.  I know she saw that ladder, and I thought to myself, "Is this the answer to my prayers?  Would I be crazy not to ask her to save me in this silly predicament? But would I ever forgive myself if I was the reason the retired lady from up the street broke her leg while climbing my ladder.  Or worse, if she ended up getting her husband to climb it for her, and he saw my lacy things???"  So we chatted for a few minutes and I tried to act normal and feed the kids more watermelon to keep their tummies quiet, then she headed on her way.  A missed opportunity.

I let the kids play in the sandbox while I ran my fingers through the bag of nickels I found in the garage   Would there be enough to buy us lunch so we could wait until Tim got home?  Or could I make it to the mall to buy a pair of shorts?

Oh, this is silly, I thought to myself.  Just climb the ladder.  NO.  I can't let my children see me fall two stories because I was too proud to ask for help and too modest (and clumsy) to climb the ladder in a skirt.

Then ask the neighbor for help. Ask to borrow a pair of Leslie's shorts. I practiced what I would say and felt ridiculous.  There are no other options, I thought.  But I just can't risk having to explain why I can't let her husband climb the ladder on my behalf.

Suddenly, a revelation.  Fortunately, my in-laws live only three blocks from our house.  Unfortunately, they had left on vacation that morning.  But fortunately, I knew how to get into their house (no key or ladder required).

The kids and I rushed over to their house (amidst questions from Ethan such as, "Why are you going into Grandma's room?  Why are you looking in her drawers?  Why are you putting on her clothes?"

Within minutes, we were back at our house.   I figured out that ladder while the kids perched themselves under a nearby tree, enjoying the show.  I crawled through my bedroom window (only to find that I actually had put all the lacy things away--Just Kidding!)

We closed the refrigerator, reheated the chicken nuggets, the kids took a nap, and I left the ladder up for Tim to put away upon his return.

Ethan has not locked a single door since then.  I love it when they start understanding cause and effect.

More updates coming soon. . . .

3 comments:

Angela Flicker: The Art of Making a House a Home in Utah said...

Oh my goodness, what a story. I'm glad that Ethan has hopefully learned a good lesson here ;)

There is a package in the mail for little miss Kate's Birthday. Please let me know when you receive it. I apologize for it being late :( I do hope it's loved though. I can not believe that she is already 2. Where does time go?

Miss you guys and can't wait to see you in August!

Spring said...

I loved this post. I have also locked myself out of the house (not while wearing a dress). But I think the thing that made me laugh the most was your love of lacy things. I remember well your lacy pjs from our slumber parties!

Sheree said...

This is hilarious!

Jackson has locked me out twice, he stands inside and tells me to just use my key to open the door. (It's so obvious, duh!)