Last Sunday we took off on our first real vacation of the summer and our first real vacation with Ethan.
We took three days to get to South Dakota, and it was wonderful.
The first day we spent the morning packing up, then we drove to Bozeman, Montana. A highlight was stopping for a picnic dinner at this cool campground along Gallatin Creek north of Yellowstone. We definitely would love to return there.
I don't remember ever visiting Bozeman before, and Tim and I have decided that we could handle living there someday. Even the Walmart was nicer than normal; they had beautiful grassy areas, flowers, benches, etc. all around it. We had to visit Walmart because during our picnic dinner at the beautiful campground we realized that the camera wasn't charged and I had forgotten the charger. Bummer! We checked into getting a new charger for cheap, or maybe a new battery, but realized it would be much cheaper just to buy a disposable camera and get the pics saved to a CD when we got them developed. They turned out pretty good!
On Day Two, we drove four or so hours and got to Sheridan, Wyoming. I had done my homework before the trip, trying to find intriguing places to stay on the way to Rapid City. Sheridan had a terrific website, advertising "The West at its Best" with many historical buildings and events, lots of beautiful recreational outtings, etc. Naturally, I was excited to see this quaint town, and had arranged our travel so we would have plenty of time here to explore. Tim has been checking into getting a motorcycle (more on that later), so while he test-drove a bike, Ethan and I went for a walk downtown to check out the history of the West at its Best. All in all, I believe Sheridan is more of a vintage 30s, 40s, 50s than the Wild, Wild West.
We took three days to get to South Dakota, and it was wonderful.
The first day we spent the morning packing up, then we drove to Bozeman, Montana. A highlight was stopping for a picnic dinner at this cool campground along Gallatin Creek north of Yellowstone. We definitely would love to return there.
I don't remember ever visiting Bozeman before, and Tim and I have decided that we could handle living there someday. Even the Walmart was nicer than normal; they had beautiful grassy areas, flowers, benches, etc. all around it. We had to visit Walmart because during our picnic dinner at the beautiful campground we realized that the camera wasn't charged and I had forgotten the charger. Bummer! We checked into getting a new charger for cheap, or maybe a new battery, but realized it would be much cheaper just to buy a disposable camera and get the pics saved to a CD when we got them developed. They turned out pretty good!
On Day Two, we drove four or so hours and got to Sheridan, Wyoming. I had done my homework before the trip, trying to find intriguing places to stay on the way to Rapid City. Sheridan had a terrific website, advertising "The West at its Best" with many historical buildings and events, lots of beautiful recreational outtings, etc. Naturally, I was excited to see this quaint town, and had arranged our travel so we would have plenty of time here to explore. Tim has been checking into getting a motorcycle (more on that later), so while he test-drove a bike, Ethan and I went for a walk downtown to check out the history of the West at its Best. All in all, I believe Sheridan is more of a vintage 30s, 40s, 50s than the Wild, Wild West.
After dinner, we put Ethan in his Kelty back-pack on loan from cousins Jagger and Jaric and walked along the river in Sheridan. A nice town. Oh, and the hotel we stayed in had all sorts of Christian literature placed in every room, such as "A Case for Christ" and "Portals of Prayer" devotionals. It was a comfortable, clean hotel and a huge step up from the previous night.

