Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I Think I Need a Vacation

I'm not sure what I need right now. . .
A vacation? A good laugh? Counseling? A drink?


We have had some wonderful, crazy busy weeks in the past 21 days, and it's not looking to lighten up in the next week (In the next month? The next year?).

After our numerous camping trips and visits with family on our week-long family vacation, we came home, crashed, ran a fun run, went to a Phineas-is-One Party, unpacked, did laundry, and prepared for a visit from our good friends, Tim, Teresa, and Paul, (and Tim's parents) who drove all the way to Idaho from Wisconsin for a week-long stay.

Oh, we had such fun with them. We loved the idea of having someone to hang out with after hours. We stayed up late every night and barbecued every day. Our time was packed, and much of it was filled with laughter. There were a few screeches from Kate when she didn't get the attention she needed. It's like that when Mom and Dad and everyone else is getting dinner ready for like double the regular amount of people. There were also a few whines and cries from Ethan, who did pretty well considering he was short on sleep and had to share his toys with a now-crawling sister and a new five-year-old friend.

That's right. I said it. We got a crawling girl on our hands. Which is one reason I am led to believe that the next year or so may not be the piece of cake the past six months have been. There's no turning back now.

Our family has not had normality for almost three weeks. I have loved our exciting summer, and I was the one that insisted on doing something fun. For a week, at least. But at times I have not been pleasant, either. I have been short on the phone at times, and I have even screeched right back at Kate when I can't figure out what she wants.

I try so hard to be prepared. I have Kate's food ready on a plate next to me before we sit down to dinner. I have everyone's drinks ready. I think ahead so there is something that everyone will like. Somehow the screeching still bothers me. . .because I believe that I am prepared, and I think that I should be able to anticipate Kate's wants and have Ethan trained by now and keep my cool since I don't even have a job that I go to everyday. And I don't want anyone else to be bothered by the noise and unpleasantness of an unhappy one or two-year-old.

The past several nights, I don't even know if I have digested my food because I have been so busy trying to help the kids. And it's frustrating because I feel like I'm doing everything I can to BE PREPARED.

I'm remembering that this was the theme at our church service on Sunday. BE PREPARED. As in, for The Lord's Supper. The truth is that I am trying to be prepared for Kate and Ethan, but mentally (and physically and spiritually) I'm not so sure I'm prepared for being the parent that God wants me to be.

Tim asked me recently if I was feeling exhausted from the past few weeks, and I am. And he is. I think we need a vacation. And we need to be praying and taking care of our spiritual lives and we need to be exercising regularly.

The past two mornings (the past 8 mornings, rather), I have meant to get up early to get my exercising in before the day gets too hot. It hasn't happened, but I have had some good reasons to get my extra sleep. Now really, tomorrow morning I think it will happen.

This Thursday we head down to Utah for my parent's anniversary party. We are going early so Tim can go biking with his brother. Tim needs a getaway, a real one, so badly. (I haven't even shared the good stories of our one-night-camping extravaganza with our friends Tim and Teresa last week. The guy deserves a break, for sure! I have simply taken him over the edge!)

Sunday I head straight from my parent's house to Boston for a conference, and Tim is graciously assuring me that everything will be all right, even though I know it is hard taking care of both kids as a single parent. I return from Boston next Wednesday after an all-night flight. Then I have a week or two to get ready for school. Will things calm down once school starts? Possibly.

Tomorrow night, Tim and I are having a date, but first I leave you with something that made me laugh so hard I cried. I really did. And it was at dinner last night, while I wasn't digesting my food properly.

I turned to see Ethan playing with his hat:


And trying to eat:


And even saying cheese for the camera.


Maybe you had to be there. It was one of those moments that I was pretty sure a good parent shouldn't laugh at, but it felt so good.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Pulcheria said...

Sometimes, you just have to laugh. And I am sure Ethan was proud of himself for making you laugh so hard!

Angela Flicker said...

Oh, yes you should laugh. That's what life is all about, laughing at life's precious moments! Josh and I are cracking up. We think he looks like a WWF wrestler.

I really enjoyed reading this piece Kristin. I love when writing is honest. Life is so crazy! It's funny that we sometimes make it that way. I hope things slow down for you or at least you feel you can get ahold of things. Take a deep breath and turn to God for peace.

We miss you and are praying for you and your family,

Angela, Josh & Monet

Anonymous said...

Have a beer.

Stacy

Jamie said...

I think it is those rough times as a mother that make you really appreciate the good times with your children. And you do just have to laugh sometimes, or else you will go crazy. The pictures of Ethan are the best, especially the 'cheeser cheeser' one. :) Miss ya!