Saturday, July 18, 2009

July 4th

TODAY (July 18) our family went to the Pioneer Day parade and were quite impressed. On July 4th, we took the kids to the Independence Day parade, and while the kids enjoyed it, I have to admit that it wasn't the moving patriotic experience that I expected.

There weren't very many floats and most that were "floats" were long-bed trailers with people sitting on them. I remember last year being moved by the veterans stoically carrying the flags at the beginning of the parade. This year the flags were carried on the back of a trailer propped up in a long wooden stand. There were no fire fighters, and last year I remember all the fire fighters and police officers driving by and giving the kids high-fives, even to reserved little Ethan, who was in awe. I was 9 months pregnant and the whole experience made me a little emotional. . . country, flags, veterans, fire-fighters, and policemen.

Anyway, Parade Day, July 4th, 2009:
Tim and I have a good system where we leave our house after the actual parade begins, and show up at the end of the parade route, where things are relaxed, calm, and uncrowded.

Here we are waiting for the parade to reach us:



Grandma and Grandpa stopped to visit during their bike ride:

Here are Ethan's two expressions during the parade. . . I'm not sure what his exact thoughts were. It's not like there was lots of noise or bands or guns or dancers or anything else out of the ordinary. But he was nonetheless impressed and thoughtful.



The rest of July 4th included a trip to the Farmer's Market, naps, and a bbq at church, which was also supposed to include games and fireworks, but we were drenched in a huge storm, so everyone headed home instead.

Tim's friends stopped by for a while, and then we enjoyed fireworks from our driveway with the kids. Ethan hid his eyes and peaked while Kate watched, interested, but overall just plain tired and her eyes finally drooped shut.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: