Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ethan Update


This big three-year-old has warmed our hearts like never before in the past several months.

One afternoon Ethan showed me a little sticker picture he had made about a soccer game.  He explained to me that one boy was doing a flip, "and this is me, and this is my son, Pencil.  And this is you, and this is daddy.  And my soccer team has too many girls"  (I told him no soccer team can have too many girls because all the girl soccer players I know are really good and Ethan replied "Yeah.")

Side note:  Ethan continues to talk about his son, Pencil, and a friend or two named Pencil, as well.  Cracks us up.

A month or two ago Kate was sick.  I was telling my mom how she had thrown up in the night.  Ethan overheard and said, "Kate got sick again? Oh, no. This is a real problem!" as he went to plop himself down in a big chair.

On Easter Sunday Ethan started listing all the things that God made.  "God made peanut butter, and that light, and bread, and this chair. . . " and on and on he went.

I love picking him up from his school and seeing him skip down the hall to the car, excited to tell me all about his day.


Ethan loves riding his big boy bike and I think we might be able to take off the training wheels pretty soon.



This summer Ethan is going to a preschool ("speech camp") designed to help kids with their verbal skills.  It's two days a week through the month of June.  He really likes it, although his comment after the first day was that they didn't get to go outside.  "My new school doesn't have a playground."  Ethan is only there for 90 minutes, and so far they have learned about bees, caterpillars and butterflies, instruments, and the different kinds of music.  The teachers give us a paper telling what they did in class each day so we can talk to the kids about it.  Thursday I asked Ethan what his favorite kind of music is (they had played different kinds of music and made a chart showing the kids' favorites) and he flashed his hands and said, "Pop music!" 

Ethan still loves to sing and dance and play the drums, and he still plays his air guitar when we go to the contemporary service at church.

The other day as we rode our bikes down the street, Ethan stopped to tell me that someday he wants to go to Africa and listen to the kids sing (his grandparents are in Africa right now and he loves African Children's Choir). Another day he told me that when he goes to Africa, he'll have to take two naps on the plane ride there.

Also, I was pulling weeds one day and Ethan came over to sit by me (he was a huge help in planting some flowers--this kid loves to be a helper and I'm so glad!).  We talked about how we miss his Grandma and Grandpa.  "Yeah.  Probably they pray for us every day.  And the Africa kids."  Then he got up and said, "Okay, I'll see you later, Mom" and he went to play in his jeep.

Just a few more stories. . .

Every day Ethan announces how many sports games he has.  Of course, he only plays one sport a day (football, basketball, soccer, baseball are his favorites) and dresses accordingly.  "I have two football games today" or "Tomorrow I have four soccer games!"  One evening as bedtime approached, Ethan came up to me, almost in tears, "Mom!  I forgot about my football games today.  Oh, NO!  Probably my football friends missed me."  It was so cute, and he really was sad, so I gave him his pretend cell phone and told him to call and let them know that he was sorry, and maybe he could find out when the next football games are.  All was well after that. 

Loving Age Three (presently)!  Hoping it stays this fun!

1 comment:

Pulcheria said...

What a cutie! Love the stories.