When I was pregnant with Kate, Tim's Aunt Alice sent us a book called "And After That", which talked about what happens after you make a mess (you help clean up), after you put on your socks (you put on your shoes), and after baby comes (some things are going to change, and some things won't). The last line in the book says, "And then, a little while after that, you'll be great friends."
The picture shows the big brother putting his arm around little sister, and she's looking adoringly at her big brother.
Reading that book to Ethan, even before Kate was born, usually made me cry. I knew it was going to be crazy and hard having two little ones, and that it would be sad to not have very many special days with just Ethan anymore, but I also knew it might be fun for the kids to have each other, and lots of people told me their small kids were friends as they grew up together.
My favorite night of this past week was Kate and Ethan playing in the sand box (which is the best toy we have right now) while Tim and I sat across the yard and talked. I was just thankful to have time to enjoy life, even though I had been experiencing some worry about what the timing was going to be on selling our house, if it was going to sell, when, etc.
Kate loves to do whatever Ethan is doing, and overall he is very good about giving her turns and letting her be his buddy.The picture shows the big brother putting his arm around little sister, and she's looking adoringly at her big brother.
Reading that book to Ethan, even before Kate was born, usually made me cry. I knew it was going to be crazy and hard having two little ones, and that it would be sad to not have very many special days with just Ethan anymore, but I also knew it might be fun for the kids to have each other, and lots of people told me their small kids were friends as they grew up together.
My favorite night of this past week was Kate and Ethan playing in the sand box (which is the best toy we have right now) while Tim and I sat across the yard and talked. I was just thankful to have time to enjoy life, even though I had been experiencing some worry about what the timing was going to be on selling our house, if it was going to sell, when, etc.
One day this week the kids found a cake mix and forced me to bake with them. It was a blast. Ethan asked me why we were baking a cake, and I told him there wasn't a reason, I just thought he and Kate wanted to. He said, "Probably we should take some to daddy." This was an excellent idea since we received an offer on our house this week and the stress of it all about sent daddy over the edge. He deserved a couple pieces of cake.
Every day when Kate wakes up from her nap, the first thing she does is ask about Ethan, and whenever she sees him, she excitedly says hi to him, or invites him to join her in whatever she is doing. On days when we take Ethan to preschool, Kate whines the entire time, wondering where her Ethan is.
I'm glad they are great friends!
I have scheduled several posts for each day this week, catching up on what life has been for us. So check back and enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment