Monday, March 30, 2009

Pergola

Tim and I are thinking of getting a pergola for our back patio. This is a view of our patio (albeit a snowy-looking view) now. We love the brightness that all our back windows let into our house, but they also bake our house in the summer too. We don't even like to go out these doors during the summer because it's so hot, and I've given up trying to have pots of flowers on this deck anymore.

The pergola seems like a good option because it will provide some shade, but still let light into our house. I'd like to perhaps hang curtains on the sides so we could block out sun during the early and late parts of the day, as well. Not sure about that, though. At first we were thinking wood to match our deck and rails, but we checked out vinyl and aluminum at the recent home fair that we attended, and that sounds kind of nice too, since we wouldn't have to restain it every few years. Insights? Comments? Experience with pergolas? We'd love your help!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sheree said...

We have a little pergola over our front porch. I love it! I can stand out there in my socks and not get wait (rains a lot here).

My money is on vinyl. Match the house and low maintenance. Make sure you have an uncovered area for the grill.

Sheree said...

Other options--

A trellis frame. You can grow grapes or other vines over it for extra shade.

Or along a similar line a frame with fabric between the rafters that you can pull across for shade or open for sun. This is what I want (if I lived in a sunny place instead of a buggy wet place). Not sure I've described this justly. I know you live in Poky, but if you got down to Salt Lake, they have it at Gourmandie's Bakery (Yumm) and I think at Squatters.

Kristin said...

Sheree, Good suggestions. I think I'll make a trip down to Squatters to check out their patio coverings (and menu offerings). Double yumm. ha

Yes, I have thought that the fabric on the frame/pergola would be a fun option--versatile, bright, shady, etc.

Good insights on the vinyl. It's not what I pictured at first, but I like the idea of matching it to our house, and the low maintenance.