Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lone Star State, Day Two: Kids, Traveling, Swimming

Jen and I met back in '94 when we were assigned as college roommates. That's right--fifteen short years ago. We hit it off immediately through the letters we exchanged the summer before we met. We found that we were alike in many ways and we continued as roommates for three more years. We mysteriously wound up with many of the same jobs around campus, working side by side in the education office typing faculty vitae or serving on the same educational committees. We also worked at camp together in Idaho the summer after our sophomore year. That also was unplanned; she requested to work at the camp after she heard from some friends that it was an amazing place, while I requested to work there because I had been a camper there back in middle school. My now-husband Tim worked at the camp that summer, as well, but as he says, we didn't get to know each other then because he was dating Liza and I was dating Jen. Ha, ha. I, personally, didn't think Jen and I were that inseparable.

Later Jen and I joked that it would be cool to teach together someday, and how crazy it would be if God brought us together again after college. Then her husband was assigned to serve at our church here in Idaho when he graduated from the seminary in '03. That was convenient, because Tim and I were getting married that summer, and Jen was my matron of honor. I remember someone from the church thought I was awfully nice to offer the new pastor's wife to be a bridesmaid in my wedding. Talk about welcoming!

Josh and Jen moved away several years later, and I haven't seen her since. That's why I decided to go to Texas. I also have some other family members there, but I'll show those pictures later.

It was special to see Jen's kids. Brooke was born soon after they arrived in Idaho, and now she is 5 1/2. Here she is holding Kate. She was so good at helping with Kate and making her smile.

After an eventful day of me watching the three kids while Jen taught, we headed on the road for Austin. Traffic on a Friday night in Texas is crazy. The kids were good until those last 20 minutes or so, when Kate just thought it was ridiculous to still be in that carseat!

We had pizza for dinner, checked into our hotel, put on our suits, went swimming, returned to the room, got the kids to bed, and crashed. Little time for late-nights stories and giggling like we used to do in our dorm room, but wonderful memories nonetheless.










Kate and Brooke became good friends. . . .


Posted by Picasa

No comments: