Great job, Tim and Darin!
Tim got 14th place overall and Darin placed 3rd! Wow! Way to go, Marine!
Tim also got 3rd in his age group and 10th overall out of the men. There were around 50 people in the race total, but a few of those were in a relay, where each person completed a different leg of the race. That might be the way to go someday when I want to do my own triathlon.
Lucy and Ethan. Lucy is Tim's friend Jesse's daughter. She is so very cute. I hope Ethan likes older women!
Waiting for daddy was an exhausting feat.
The triathlon was definitely the best part of the weekend. Tim and I were both completely spent from this experience. Ethan has been having trouble sleeping when he's not in his regular bed, so at 4 in the morning the day of the race, I was pretty happy that he had made it through the night sleeping in his own play pen. . . then he woke up 30 minutes later and couldn't go back to sleep!
We tried several things. . . but mostly I just wanted him to be quiet so Tim and the nine other people in the cabin could sleep. So I took Ethan outside and eventually took him for a car ride. He fell asleep, so I drove back to the cabin and was about to fall asleep myself in the passenger seat, but soon Ethan was awake again, and I ended up just driving him around until 7, when Tim needed me back so he could go check in for the race.
The triathlon went great, but that afternoon Ethan was just too excited or too tired to take his nap. I was exhausted from lack of sleep and being 8 months pregnant; Tim was exhausted from racing in a triathlon that morning. Tim wanted to stay another night, but we decided we just couldn't make it. I would have surely melted down more than I already had!
The drive home was pretty good. Ethan mostly slept, except for the two 20-minute intervals where he screamed and screamed and we couldn't do anything about it. That was stressful.
I felt terrible because I wanted to be a better support for Tim in his race, but I was just so tired. . . I don't remember being this tired when I was 8 months pregnant with Ethan!
We ended up spending the entire next day home as a family and rejuvenating ourselves and feeling better overall--after sleeping in late and taking afternoon naps.
I'm all for great experiences as a family, but if we were to do this again, I definitely would send Tim on his own to the triathlon so he could be well-rested. Maybe staying in a motel would have been worth it, as well???

No comments:
Post a Comment