Thursday, June 12, 2008

Flowers, June 10

I know these don't look like much right now, but hopefully in a few weeks, or maybe by the end of the summer, we will have some real flowers to enjoy.
Last year I had transplanted a bunch of my daisies and mums, so this year they are really taking off. I also decided to add a few annuals to this part of the yard this year, to add more color.
I am trying marigolds, dianthys, petunias, verbana, and a few pansies. Some of them might not last the entire summer, but then I might add a few zinnias, which are one of my favorites.

This is the back of our house, which gets tons of sun and not that much water. I took a bunch of daffodils and tulip bulbs out of here and replanted them around the yard. I know it's not the best time of year to do that, but last fall when I tried to dig them up, I couldn't find them, so I figure it was worth the try. I also planted a few verbana and a sage plant here. The lavender from last year seems to be doing well so far.


This is the flower area along the back fence. The pansies are doing great this year because it has stayed so cool. The area furthest from the pansies is infested with pesky morning glory. I didn't even plant anything down there and we're going to drown the morning glory with weed killer all season to see if we can get rid of it. Why can't the slugs and bugs eat that up instead of the real flowers?


Last year I replanted some mums and irises in this area, as well as a few other perennials. I can't remember the name of the yellow flowers, but they are so pretty in early summer. I added a few new perennials this year as well as some snapdragons, petunias, and a few other annuals. A few days after planting all this stuff (which I planted on May 31st), already some of the plants were being eaten alive by slugs. I've since treated everything with slug bait and Tim sprayed all the plants for other pests. I'm trying to feed everything weekly with plant food too. I'm hoping everything survives!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: