Here's an update on what Kate is like right now.
When we ask Kate if she wants something, and the answer is yes, she says "Dem" and flashes her huge, cutesy grin, she squints her eyes shut, and twists her ankles and wrists, expecting the wonderful to happen.
Kate LOVES taking a bath. It's what she lives for. Every night when I'm putting on her pajamas she looks up at me and asks "Baaas?" and grins really big. If I say, "Do you want a bath?" she carries on with her huge grin and "dem" and twisting her wrists. Lately Kate will ask in the middle of the day, or first thing in the morning, or as soon as we're done with dinner. "Baaaaas? Baaaaaas? Baaas?"
Sidenote: I thought she said the "dem" thing because she couldn't say "yes", but tonight I was joking around with Tim about making dinner and told him to say "yes" when I asked him if I should just sit on the couch and relax while he cooked. Kate was on my lap and she thought I was telling her to say "yes", so she did, plain as day. I told Tim that Kate agreed with me. Me: sit on couch, relax. Tim: cook dinner. That's not exactly what happened, but Tim definitely helped make dinner. Yes!
Every day when our babysitter arrives, Kate helps her take off her coat, and then tells me, "Ah Beep". Kate wants everyone to "beep" when they leave. So every morning as I pull out of the driveway, I get to look up at the window and see Kate peering out the front windows, waving and blowing kisses.
Kate is wonderful at asking for help when she needs it. If she's hungry, or playing with a toy that isn't working right, or if she's stuck on our bed or on a counter and can't get down, she quickly says, "Help, please. Help, please."
Kate still cries (thankfully for only a very short time) when we leave her in the nursery at church or with a babysitter here at home (not Barb, but other babysitters when we go out on the town). She likes to be held, and her babysitter Barb admits to cuddling her a lot.
I don't mind holding Kate (for the most part). I am good at cooking dinner with one hand (I've had several years of experience of it now) and Kate isn't too heavy. But there are times when I need to get something done that requires two hands, and Kate is in the mood to be held, so she's pulling at my legs, and I get a little frustrated. That's when I want to say, "Help, please. Help, please."
One day Kate and Ethan played a game with each other while they were waiting for me in the car, and Kate giggled and laughed because Ethan "roared" at her a bunch of times. Now every time they get into the car together she roars at him, and now Ethan doesn't think it's so great. He'll tell her, "NOoooooOO, Baby Kate! Stop it!" and she thinks he's "roaring" at her, so she'll keep roaring at him. She's a professional little sister.
Ethan has also taught Kate to say, "No!" and "Mine!" She can say those words quite clearly.
Kate loves Elmo. She often asks to watch him or read an Elmo book. Most times I say, "Elmo's sleeping," so if Kate knows she can't watch Elmo, she'll say, "Elmo, not, Elmo, not," and she shakes her head no.
One day when we pulled up to Grandma's house, Kate said, "Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy!"
She gets her words mixed up sometimes. She substitutes water for milk and vice versa, and gets apple and orange mixed up. One morning she was hungry and pointed at a banana and said, "Orange, Apple, Orange, Apple, Orange," hoping one of those was right.
Kate loves her dolls, but she loves trains, cars, and planes, too. One day at the park a plane flew real low over us several times, and every time we waved really big and got all excited. Ever since then, Kate talks about planes quite frequently. She'll hear a motor outside, will hurry to the window, and look up at me and say, "Plane, sky. Plane, sky." She loves to make motor sounds and "vroom" the cars around. Or she loves to drive Ethan crazy by playing with his toys.
Actually, Kate has learned to stay away from Ethan's stuff. These days she waits until he's busy doing something else, and then she'll help herself to his toys. Ethan's getting better at letting her. One night I was playing ball with Kate, and when Ethan came into the room she WOULD NOT let go of her ball, even to give it to me. I assured her I would give it back, but she clung to the ball and shook her head. As soon as Ethan left, she'd start playing with me again. Smart girl.
She knows how to be dramatic (manipulative?). If Ethan comes near her when I'm out of the room, she can fake cry to get my attention, even if Ethan's not even touching her.
Kate is a happy girl and loves people. Even when she is tired at church, she starts to get cranky, and then sees all the people behind us, sets her chin on my shoulder and gives her toothy cheesy grin. I'm a little proud that she is cute and all, but I wonder if we need to start sitting in the back row.
Here we are at a recent sledding party with our church:

1 comment:
What a little ham! Thanks for sharing. I think maybe Kate and Monet are going to be good friends with a lot in common. They have that social, smile on a dime, look cute all the time thing going on. Oh man, we'll have to watch out for the boys, he, he.
Post a Comment