Ethan will be three in November. He still loves trains, fire trucks, and his motorcycle.
On Friday, as I was getting ready for our friends to come over, Ethan played with his Thomas trains for an hour and a half all by himself. He had made an ice cream truck out of his mega blocks, so every time I went by the trains, I had to by an ice cream cone an proclaim its deliciousness. I also had to hand over my money, and if I didn't, the ice cream truck driver would stick his hand in my pocket. I told Ethan that normally the ice cream truck driver would have to use his words and say please, but since I'm his mommy, it's probably okay this time.
Here's our fireman, Ethan:
On Friday, as I was getting ready for our friends to come over, Ethan played with his Thomas trains for an hour and a half all by himself. He had made an ice cream truck out of his mega blocks, so every time I went by the trains, I had to by an ice cream cone an proclaim its deliciousness. I also had to hand over my money, and if I didn't, the ice cream truck driver would stick his hand in my pocket. I told Ethan that normally the ice cream truck driver would have to use his words and say please, but since I'm his mommy, it's probably okay this time.
Here's our fireman, Ethan:
We love to go to the park:
And we especially love to talk about whiskers. Do you see them here?
Tonight after we returned from our luau, I ended up talking with Ethan on his bed for about 30 minutes. We were just shooting the breeze. About 10 minutes of that was Ethan repeating himself and me listening carefully trying to decipher what he was saying. But his thoughts are profound, so the conversation is stimulating nonetheless.
We talked about the luau and all his favorite parts of the day. He told me about the boys that danced and the guy that talked into the microphone (the guy that danced with an ice cream cone?). He told me about the girl dancers and the not-baby dancers that are big girls. We talked about the guy who danced with fire and Ethan told me it made him scared. I said I felt scared too and I that I had looked around, wondering if anyone else was scared. I said it's okay to feel scared when a guy dancing with fire drops the fire on the ground (which did happen). Ethan laughed about that.
Ethan and I talked about his big boy bed and how by the time he gets whiskers, he'll have a bigger bed than the one he has now. Like around the time he's 13 or so. Ethan crinkled up his nose and said, "Yeah. I'll give this bed to Kate."
I told him that when he gets whiskers I hope I can still sit on his bed and talk with him before he goes to sleep. Ethan again crinkled up his nose and said, "Yeah."
Then we sang a song and I think he was asleep before I shut out the light.
You might remember that one time when Ethan was curious about Daddy's whiskers, we told him he'd get whiskers when he's bigger, but first he had to learn to go potty like a big boy. Ever since that happened, he's been asking about the whiskers, and conveniently, sometimes the sticky ice cream around his mouth looks just like them.
He sure is a big boy!
One more thing. . . Ethan is still our drummer and guitar player at church. This last Sunday he was helping me in the nursery during Sunday School, and when I said it was time to clean up so we could go to church and sing, he helped me clean up faster than I have EVER seen him. In church, he was up down, all around drumming and singing and strumming his guitar. Tim said he even went down on one leg during one of his riffs. Not sure if this is exactly reverent, but I'm telling myself it's all in the name of Jesus. :)
We talked about the luau and all his favorite parts of the day. He told me about the boys that danced and the guy that talked into the microphone (the guy that danced with an ice cream cone?). He told me about the girl dancers and the not-baby dancers that are big girls. We talked about the guy who danced with fire and Ethan told me it made him scared. I said I felt scared too and I that I had looked around, wondering if anyone else was scared. I said it's okay to feel scared when a guy dancing with fire drops the fire on the ground (which did happen). Ethan laughed about that.
Ethan and I talked about his big boy bed and how by the time he gets whiskers, he'll have a bigger bed than the one he has now. Like around the time he's 13 or so. Ethan crinkled up his nose and said, "Yeah. I'll give this bed to Kate."
I told him that when he gets whiskers I hope I can still sit on his bed and talk with him before he goes to sleep. Ethan again crinkled up his nose and said, "Yeah."
Then we sang a song and I think he was asleep before I shut out the light.
You might remember that one time when Ethan was curious about Daddy's whiskers, we told him he'd get whiskers when he's bigger, but first he had to learn to go potty like a big boy. Ever since that happened, he's been asking about the whiskers, and conveniently, sometimes the sticky ice cream around his mouth looks just like them.
He sure is a big boy!
One more thing. . . Ethan is still our drummer and guitar player at church. This last Sunday he was helping me in the nursery during Sunday School, and when I said it was time to clean up so we could go to church and sing, he helped me clean up faster than I have EVER seen him. In church, he was up down, all around drumming and singing and strumming his guitar. Tim said he even went down on one leg during one of his riffs. Not sure if this is exactly reverent, but I'm telling myself it's all in the name of Jesus. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment