Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm thinking Arby's . . .


A small symbol of the new leaf I am turning in trying to cook more and cook better.
This was a whole chicken (the store had them on sale for two for $5) that I made on the grill using a butt chicken recipe (you stick a half can of beer or coke or broth up the chicken's butt and grill for several hours). I was proud of myself for finding the recipe and using an appropriate chicken rub, and when I opened the grill several hours later, this is what I found.

Tim really wanted me to blog about this, and he came up with the title. The chicken ended up being decent, but I do need to find another recipe for the other whole chicken that is in my freezer.

Some other successful attempts I have made at cooking: tomato-apricot chutney over pork (super easy and delicious) and lime chicken wraps (healthy and delicious).

I also have been dedicating myself to finding more interesting lunch options for Ethan. Our lunch options rotate between the typical: grilled ham and cheese, chicken nuggets, pb&j, leftovers, etc. Ethan usually will eat these, but he's so weird because what he devours one day he won't touch the next, and vice versa.

So last Wednesday I had done a really good job of cleaning up the kitchen, then ran some errands with Ethan and Kate. It crossed my mind how easy it would have been to stop someplace special and just eat lunch out so I wouldn't dirty up my clean kitchen. However, I decided it would be best to make lunch at home because I had everything we needed and I knew we'd be eating out several times in the next few days. Besides, I had everything I needed to make homemade mini-pizzas and I was excited to try to my new lunch option!

Well, Ethan would hardly touch the pizza. I was so mad at him and he was so mad at me. He ended up eating a plain English muffin. WHY he wouldn't eat the pizza is still a mystery to me. I just kept thinking, "How dare he snub my food when I made it especially for him?" I even tried to explain that to him, but he just didn't get it.

Of course last night when I made homemade pizza, he couldn't get enough of it! Crazy kid!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: