Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Summer

Just to be clear, teachers do not work 8:30 to 3:00 and then have 3 months off in the summer. But our schedule does get a bit more relaxed in June and July, and again picks up in August. Each June brings a time of transition for Tim and I because I'm still working--evaluating the previous year, making new plans, checking out curriculum, catching up on much-neglected housework, organizing my classroom, corresponding with new staff members, reading up on teaching materials, etc.--but one would think that I could do a bit better on keeping up on the house and having dinner ready when Tim gets home from work.

The first week "off" from school has actually been quite busy. Our middle school team had a great "summit" where we massaged the idea of having advisory groups for our students to help create a more tight-knit community and where every student would have a specific advocate and teammate to help them through their junior high years. I am so excited about the ideas we have developed! We are going to call the groups CORR5:11 (does it sound too much like a band and/or a radio station?)--Christian Communities of Respect and Responsibility, based on I Thessalonians 5:11. "Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up in the name of Christ, just as you also are doing."

Some highlights of my summer so far:
Spending time with Ethan and "reading", playing outside, visiting Grandmas, eating. . .

A date with Tim for dinner and a drive in the hills. There were tons of colorful wildflowers. We also picked up some rocks for my flower garden.

Biking with Tim and Ethan in the hills.

Planting more flowers in our yard and watching them grow.

Getting up early this morning and making breakfast for Tim, then enjoying my book while Ethan napped and rain fell outside.

Having lunch with my teaching friend Mandy. We have a tradition of celebrating the end of the school year together.

Playing church softball and having friends over afterwards to contemplate our loss.

Starting my half-marathon training (today, Day 3, has been a bust due to rain. . . I'll have to get back on track tomorrow).

No comments: