Friday, April 30, 2010

Kate Update

Kate is turning into a little girl. And that means she is developing a personality of her own. And she's opinionated.

One day Kate found this pretty little nighty in her pajama drawer. Quite often now she insists on putting on her "pretty". Then she pats her dress and admires herself in the mirror.


One day I walked into Kate's room and she was rocking her doll and singing her a song. Kate likes to hum and it warms my heart to hear her make up her own little tunes as she rocks with me or wanders around the house.

While there are times that Kate is being more independent in her play, there are still many days when she simply wants me to hold her, and this can be difficult when I am trying to get ready for the day, or trying to make dinner. It could be that she is a bit bored, since many of the toys are put away each evening, and all the fun stuff is hard for her to find on her own. 
Some good news is that this morning Kate wore pigtails for the first time. Recently I have had a ponytail in my own hair, and Kate has been very fascinated by that. So this morning when I asked her if she wanted a pigtail, too, she enthusiastically sat on my lap while I combed and coaxed that fine, blond hair. I didn't really know what I was doing, but the effort was sort of cute.
Several weeks ago we had really great weather. The kids loved getting out some of the yard toys that have been stored away for the winter. Kate's favorite is her Jeep. Ethan and Kate have been wonderful about trying to take turns. There are moments where they growl at each other or bite or hit. But overall Ethan has been a hero at showing Kate what it means to take a turn, and then give a turn.
Kate loves to say "My. Turn." And little Ms. Personality Plus also loves no, walk, mine!, E-Than, Bath (both with her tongue sticking way out after my over-exaggerated example), car. wash, garbage. man, birds. singing, hold. you, hold. me (she's not sure which she's supposed to say. . . it's confusing because I ask her, "Do you want me to hold you?"), and much more.

Kate, you warm our hearts!  We love you!



1 comment:

Angela Flicker: The Art of Making a House a Home in Utah said...

I can't see your photos. I wonder why :(

This was so cute about Kate and all the words she's saying. I bet the pig tails were so cute. And looking in a mirror and saying pretty, ahhh, that melts my heart. I bet this age is fun when they learn new words everyday.

I miss you Kate!

Love from your aunty!