Friday, November 20, 2009

Cut Hair Much?

Last weekend Ethan had a busy day going to the football game with Grandma and Grandpa. Our team won, and Ethan stayed for the entire game, and came home to play football in the kitchen for about an hour, and has wanted to wear nothing but football attire for the past week.

Sunday night I told him that our babysitter Barb wouldn't be able to come to our house on Monday because she was sick. Ethan decided to draw her a picture, and he was so cute telling me, "Barbara likes airplanes," as he drew her an airplane and "Barbara likes blue," as he chose a blue crayon. Then he got tired so put the crayons and the airplane to bed, and laid down for a minute with them on the couch.

Ethan and I have gotten into a nice habit of taking a nap together on the couch when I get home from work. One day, as I was leaving my school, I heard a mom talking to her young son, saying, "Yes, when we get home you WILL take a nap." I smiled to myself as I thought of the similar conversation I would have once I got home, and that's the day that I decided that since I was having to sit in Ethan's room with him to make sure he stayed quiet and in his bed, I might as well let him sleep on the couch so we could both be comfortable. I don't actually take a nap. We read Ethan's stories together, and then I read my book or do a Bible study while he sits and wiggles and sings until he falls asleep. Then I get up and do my work. And sometimes Ethan just wants to take his nap in his room by himself. Either way, I am happy to have a little quiet time.

Here is Kate sitting at her little table with me, again doing her favorite thing, coloring. She loves to pose:


Cut hair much? Both my kids have silly-looking hair right now. Every day Kate's hair is this tangled-looking mess in the back, and I think I'm going to have to get it cut because this is how it looks after I comb it:


Ethan's hair also isn't at its best lately. One day after church I thought to myself, his poor hair is in his eyes and it's driving me crazy. Without thinking, I took a scissors to it (I successfully cut my own bangs all the time) and soon remembered that have no idea how to cut a boy's hair, so I quit while I was ahead and vowed to take him to our hair lady's place to get it fixed.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I don't know what to do about Kate's hair, but I might have some advice for Ethan's. :)
I always have cut my boys' hair, as well as Andy's. We have clippers, but the best investment for little boys' hair is the 'peanut'. It is a tiny set of clippers that really work well for the small area under along their neck and around their ears.
I know it is scary to cut hair, and it does take practice. I bet if you looked up hair cutting demos on YouTube there would be some good lessons.
Good luck!!

angela Flicker said...

Monet always gets a wicked nest on the back of her head in her hair where she lays. I just spray it with water, put conditioner on it and go to town. I actually can't believe how tolerant she is. She doesn't fuss much at all if I make sure and hold the hair at the root as I comb through it. I don't know if this will help, but thought I might try just in case you haven't tried this yet.

Good luck!