Monday, August 27, 2007

First day of school

Well, it's that time of year! The air is getting just a bit cooler (at least in Idaho) and the school shopping is done and today the students and teachers returned to school.

I love the beginning of the year, but it also makes me a little nervous. I always hope that I remember to say all the right things and emphasize what's really important; that I show compassion to the students, take interest in who they are as individuals, yet make clear my expectations for the school year. I teach 7 class periods in the day, with only two or three groups of students that I see more than once, so I had to repeat myself a lot today. That gets old for me and sometimes I wish that I could just skip to the fun teaching instead of going over rules and procedures (BORING!).

Ethan started with his new babysitter two weeks ago. He really seems to like her. When I dropped him off last week, he couldn't decide whether he wanted to reach out for her or stick with me before I left him again. To me, that's a good thing, because it means he likes spending time with her. My prayers are with her as she starts the school year. What a busy job with five or six little ones, plus she home schools her own two kids (she has help during the day), in addition to starting her own schooling at night to get a degree in early childhood or something like that. A cool connection is that an acquaintance from church (who also has a son in my class) is her mentor/advisor for her night schooling and my other friend, Andrea, is her contact teacher for homeschooling. I love how there are connections like that.

Yesterday our staff had a dedication at our church. Below is one of the songs that we sang as a prayer for our lives and the school year. I love the words.


I'm right here before you asking on my knees
That my life would be something and not just what I dream
That I might find favor, mercy, and grace
In the eyes of my Savior
In the light of your face

Lord, as I offer everything
I pray that my life would make you pleased
That I might move mountains, wake the sea
Oh, that your life would shine through me

Establish your kingdom in this crying land
Restore us in freedom with your healing hand
Your people are yearning, desperate for your truth
Take over this nation and reclaim your youth

Holy, holy, holy Lord
Shine on me

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Good luck with the new school year. I bet you are such a FUN teacher!
Good luck on the half-marathon. I'm sure you'll do great, since you've already run a full. It will be over before you know it. Please keep us updated!