Sunday we had a group of friends from church meet at our house. Actually, they're new friends that we're in the process of making (that doesn't make sense, but it's the middle of the night and I'm awake and trying to be productive). Our church has this system of getting to know new people called "Soup and Salad"; four families are in a group and you go to each family's house to get to know each other, then switch groups every couple of months. Tim and I don't always sign up to participate, but we're back in, and having a good time getting to know some new people. The new news in our town is that Costco just opened, and this has been a theme with our group--they all praise the glories of Costco. The best meat, the best pajamas, the best coffee, the best of everything. Tim and I (and Kate and Ethan) went there tonight and only walked away with diapers. I'll have to get used to their huge portions.
Anyway, Sunday was our turn to host our Soup and Salad group. Kate and I worked all afternoon on straightening up the house and setting the table. Ethan slept and Tim went on a bike ride, after trying to get diapers at Costco but finding they were too crowded. By 4 o'clock, the house was ready and Ethan woke up, so we went on a short walk to visit Grandma and Grandpa. That went well. We returned home and played in the leaves (see previous post), and realized that Tim was going to be cutting it close, as he had called to say that he had crashed and run into some other delays. He still had to pick up the drinks and stop by his parents' house to get the stools. (Out kitchen table is counter-height, and we only have six chairs to go with it.)
I started the brats on the stove and lit the grill. Our new friends (all 7 of them--one couple brought their 10-year-old son) all arrived promptly at 5:30. Tim got home 2 minutes later, brought the chairs in, offered drinks to everyone, then went upstairs to clean up his bloody shin.
Ethan was getting hungry, so I was grabbing snacks for him and trying to do all those last minute things that one must do when guests arrive. Everyone was very helpful. Lori held Kate and somehow pacified her as long as possible. Sometime along the way Ethan must have poured more of his own snack and someone helped him pick up the spill, because the next morning I found a few pretzels, peanuts, and chocolate chips in my Cheerios box.
Soon the brats were ready and we prayed and sat down. Finally, Kate had had enough and NEEDED to eat. Well, that was a little awkward--trying to nurse while all our friends were eating. I decided to stand in the kitchen and talk with Ethan and the 10-year-old. I offered J. some delicious cheddar-sour cream chips, only to find that Tim or I had finished off the bag the night before. So I cut up an apple and we talked about 4th graders' favorite books.
Eventually, I got to eat, Kate's upset stomach went away, and Jacob's dad showed him how to read to a 2-year-old. Ethan loved that and brought him every book he could find.
At some point in the evening, even though I was having the time of my life, I contemplated why this entertaining thing was so hard on this particular evening. We love having guests, and we've been in a Soup and Salad group for the past couple of sessions and it hasn't been this hard. Then I remembered that the past couple of times, we've just had everyone meet us at the Pressbox and gone dutch treat. As much as I love having people in my home, as well as seeing other people's spaces when we go to their homes, I will definitely consider carefully where we will "host" next time.
Anyway, Sunday was our turn to host our Soup and Salad group. Kate and I worked all afternoon on straightening up the house and setting the table. Ethan slept and Tim went on a bike ride, after trying to get diapers at Costco but finding they were too crowded. By 4 o'clock, the house was ready and Ethan woke up, so we went on a short walk to visit Grandma and Grandpa. That went well. We returned home and played in the leaves (see previous post), and realized that Tim was going to be cutting it close, as he had called to say that he had crashed and run into some other delays. He still had to pick up the drinks and stop by his parents' house to get the stools. (Out kitchen table is counter-height, and we only have six chairs to go with it.)
I started the brats on the stove and lit the grill. Our new friends (all 7 of them--one couple brought their 10-year-old son) all arrived promptly at 5:30. Tim got home 2 minutes later, brought the chairs in, offered drinks to everyone, then went upstairs to clean up his bloody shin.
Ethan was getting hungry, so I was grabbing snacks for him and trying to do all those last minute things that one must do when guests arrive. Everyone was very helpful. Lori held Kate and somehow pacified her as long as possible. Sometime along the way Ethan must have poured more of his own snack and someone helped him pick up the spill, because the next morning I found a few pretzels, peanuts, and chocolate chips in my Cheerios box.
Soon the brats were ready and we prayed and sat down. Finally, Kate had had enough and NEEDED to eat. Well, that was a little awkward--trying to nurse while all our friends were eating. I decided to stand in the kitchen and talk with Ethan and the 10-year-old. I offered J. some delicious cheddar-sour cream chips, only to find that Tim or I had finished off the bag the night before. So I cut up an apple and we talked about 4th graders' favorite books.
At some point in the evening, even though I was having the time of my life, I contemplated why this entertaining thing was so hard on this particular evening. We love having guests, and we've been in a Soup and Salad group for the past couple of sessions and it hasn't been this hard. Then I remembered that the past couple of times, we've just had everyone meet us at the Pressbox and gone dutch treat. As much as I love having people in my home, as well as seeing other people's spaces when we go to their homes, I will definitely consider carefully where we will "host" next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment