Monday, August 25, 2008

Breakthrough

Last night I checked out a couple of websites about baby sign language.

When Ethan was 6 months old, I checked out a couple of books from the library on baby signing, and I worked with him for a while on it. Then the books were due at the library, and a friend of mine said it really wasn't all that great, because soon kids can talk anyway.

Well, here I am a year or more later and Ethan still has trouble saying many words, and he gets so incredibly frustrated when we don't understand him.

About a week ago Tim had the ingenious idea to teach Ethan a few simple words using sign--please, thank you, more--and it has done wonders for our household. We just kept reminding him to use the words, and we wouldn't give him what he wanted unless he said "please." Ethan loves it and yesterday he finally stopped himself before he started whining, and said, "Mama" and did the sign for please. We give a huge cheer every time Ethan uses a sign (at least at first we did) and that has helped.

I love seeing progress after so many patient and not-so-patient reminders to "use words" instead of screeching or crying over the past couple of months.

After I looked up the new signs, such as hungry, stop, help, etc., Tim and I quizzed each other on them and purposely made up all these sentences that conveniently used those words.

I definitely am a proponent of baby sign language from now on!

Great job learning something new, Ethan.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I think baby sign language is great! My kids like to watch "Signing Time". It is on most PBS stations. Much cheaper to watch on PBS than to buy the DVD's, but it really is a good program. :D

Pulcheria said...

I couldn't agree more. Most kids do learn to talk, but why not let them communicate while their mouths are growing to be able to get those words out! Great job! I'm sure Ethan appreciates being understood too!