Saturday, October 29, 2011

Ethan's Tonsils

First, we tried to spend as much time as possible out of the house the week prior to the tonsillectomy, playing in parks, and just being active, for we knew that we were going to have a week or so of being quiet and calm while Ethan recovered.

Here we are playing and hiking at the park two days before the surgery.  I tried to take them out for hours at a time, exploring, making an "ice cream store", etc.:

The day of the surgery, Ethan was an ideal patient:

We had been contemplating getting Ethan's tonsils out for a long time.  He was a big snorer and his tonsils were huge.  We also wanted to get his tongue clipped because he couldn't stick it out very far and it seemed to be affecting his speech.

The day of the surgery we had to get up early and find our way to our new hospital.  Ethan asked lots of questions and was excited to see what everything would be like.  I might be a little weird because I kind of like hospitals; I enjoyed looking around and meeting the various nurses, and I got to write letters and read my book while I waited for the procedure to get done, and I got to hold Ethan while he recovered and slept.

Then we went to pick up his medicine and I got to eat a milkshake while he slept some more.

The first day wasn't too bad.  Tim brought home a surprise for Ethan:
(an orange motorcycle shirt and an addition to his hot wheels race track)

The week of recovery ended up not being too bad, either.  Ethan didn't cry too much; the hardest part was the terrible smell from his raw throat.  I had made a box of activities that we could draw from so it would seem more like a game to stay occupied with quiet activities, but we only got through about 4 of them, and we watched a few movies, too, such as Finding Nemo and Toy Story.

No comments: