Wait until you see the pictures of Kate that her Grandpa took. You will not be disappointed. But you will have to wait, because Gabe hasn't sent them to me yet.
Easter was a wonderful celebration. Church was amazing. This year I thought a lot about what it might have been like for the women who showed up at the tomb. Two days earlier, they had witnessed someone they loved going through the one of the most excruciating deaths ever devised, and now they were back to take care of his body. I'm sure they weren't looking forward to this in the first place, and then to go through the confusion and disappointment and then the joy of an empty tomb. I think it's so amazing that death was conquered on our behalf.
Since I have been teaching part time this year, I only get to teach history and geography. It's been sad not teaching Christian Studies because I loved that time to learn and grow with the 8th graders, and listen to their thoughts, their struggles, and to pray with them and for them. I decided that since I wouldn't have that special time set aside with my students, that I needed to be even more intentional about sharing my faith during the classes that I do teach. Actually, that's the way it should be anyway. Anyone can talk about faith when that's what you're supposed to do. It's expected. But to hear about faith, to think about faith, to demonstrate faith outside of church, outside of Bible classes, outside of prayer time, that's when it makes an impact.
As time has progressed this year, it has gotten easier to tie my faith naturally into my classes. It might be because I've gotten more used to it, but I think the main reason is that I am taking care of myself more--because I'm teaching part time. I have more time for exercise, for my family, and more time for personal Bible study and prayer time. It's easier to share from the heart when my relationship with God is growing, and when the relationship is healthy.
Another thing that has helped is the blogs that I have come to read almost every day. Only another blog-reader could understand. There are bloggers out there that can relate just about any event from their lives to a growing experience, to the character of God, to forgiveness and grace. And it's not forced.
Recently our Bible study friends were sharing how there have been times when faith in our lives has been forced--not necessarily that we have felt forced to believe, but the effort to tie faith into our lives has been forced, awkward, and unnatural. So as a group we are praying that we can find a way to share Christ's love with our kids in a way that is meaningful and personal.
Back to the bloggers-- I don't even know these women, but many, many people read their blogs and it's just amazing the things they go through, and how God is using them to help others. Here are a couple of my favorites--
MckMama, who has four kids under the age of 5, and whose youngest has been in the hospital for almost five weeks with heart problems. Several days ago she wrote a great post on prayer, Why bother praying? I ask that sometimes. . . does it really matter if MORE people pray for something, if one person is already praying for it? What good does MORE prayer do if God already knows what he is going to do anyway?
Another blog I enjoy is about a mom of triplets. She lives in the south and I just love how simply she shares her insights as a mom and the challenges she faces in raising cool, Christ-loving kids.
I have to admit I also read Heather B. Armstrong's blog, dooce. She is unconventional, funny, and makes really interesting points about child-raising and the world. Her perspective is for the most part not faith-related (laugh here if you are familiar with dooce), and I don't always agree with her, and maybe that's why I like reading her blog because I can broaden my scope. She's very honest about her experiences with post-partum depression, and I think she has helped a lot of women understand that this is a real condition and it's okay to ask for help. Everyone should find something they believe in, find what they're good at, find what they enjoy, and use it to serve others and hopefully share Christ's love too.
(By the way, finding purpose and doing something you enjoy can help you live longer. . . this week we have been studying longevity in history and geography. See this site for more information about the people of Ikaria, Greece, and the Blue Zones expedition that is there for ten days right now studying how people like us can live longer. It's interactive and you can vote to see what the team should research next.)
Right! And now back to Easter.
Here are some pics of our Easter Sunday.
Kristi and Ethan playing at the park:

Angela (my sis-in-law due in June), Karen, and Kate:
Easter was a wonderful celebration. Church was amazing. This year I thought a lot about what it might have been like for the women who showed up at the tomb. Two days earlier, they had witnessed someone they loved going through the one of the most excruciating deaths ever devised, and now they were back to take care of his body. I'm sure they weren't looking forward to this in the first place, and then to go through the confusion and disappointment and then the joy of an empty tomb. I think it's so amazing that death was conquered on our behalf.
Since I have been teaching part time this year, I only get to teach history and geography. It's been sad not teaching Christian Studies because I loved that time to learn and grow with the 8th graders, and listen to their thoughts, their struggles, and to pray with them and for them. I decided that since I wouldn't have that special time set aside with my students, that I needed to be even more intentional about sharing my faith during the classes that I do teach. Actually, that's the way it should be anyway. Anyone can talk about faith when that's what you're supposed to do. It's expected. But to hear about faith, to think about faith, to demonstrate faith outside of church, outside of Bible classes, outside of prayer time, that's when it makes an impact.
As time has progressed this year, it has gotten easier to tie my faith naturally into my classes. It might be because I've gotten more used to it, but I think the main reason is that I am taking care of myself more--because I'm teaching part time. I have more time for exercise, for my family, and more time for personal Bible study and prayer time. It's easier to share from the heart when my relationship with God is growing, and when the relationship is healthy.
Another thing that has helped is the blogs that I have come to read almost every day. Only another blog-reader could understand. There are bloggers out there that can relate just about any event from their lives to a growing experience, to the character of God, to forgiveness and grace. And it's not forced.
Recently our Bible study friends were sharing how there have been times when faith in our lives has been forced--not necessarily that we have felt forced to believe, but the effort to tie faith into our lives has been forced, awkward, and unnatural. So as a group we are praying that we can find a way to share Christ's love with our kids in a way that is meaningful and personal.
Back to the bloggers-- I don't even know these women, but many, many people read their blogs and it's just amazing the things they go through, and how God is using them to help others. Here are a couple of my favorites--
MckMama, who has four kids under the age of 5, and whose youngest has been in the hospital for almost five weeks with heart problems. Several days ago she wrote a great post on prayer, Why bother praying? I ask that sometimes. . . does it really matter if MORE people pray for something, if one person is already praying for it? What good does MORE prayer do if God already knows what he is going to do anyway?
Another blog I enjoy is about a mom of triplets. She lives in the south and I just love how simply she shares her insights as a mom and the challenges she faces in raising cool, Christ-loving kids.
I have to admit I also read Heather B. Armstrong's blog, dooce. She is unconventional, funny, and makes really interesting points about child-raising and the world. Her perspective is for the most part not faith-related (laugh here if you are familiar with dooce), and I don't always agree with her, and maybe that's why I like reading her blog because I can broaden my scope. She's very honest about her experiences with post-partum depression, and I think she has helped a lot of women understand that this is a real condition and it's okay to ask for help. Everyone should find something they believe in, find what they're good at, find what they enjoy, and use it to serve others and hopefully share Christ's love too.
(By the way, finding purpose and doing something you enjoy can help you live longer. . . this week we have been studying longevity in history and geography. See this site for more information about the people of Ikaria, Greece, and the Blue Zones expedition that is there for ten days right now studying how people like us can live longer. It's interactive and you can vote to see what the team should research next.)
Right! And now back to Easter.
Here are some pics of our Easter Sunday.
Kristi and Ethan playing at the park:
Angela (my sis-in-law due in June), Karen, and Kate:

1 comment:
"It's easier to share from the heart when my relationship with God is growing, and when the relationship is healthy."
I really enjoy your thoughts and I think you phrased this beautifully. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment