Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Fever

Not sure if I'm experiencing cabin fever or spring fever or both or if they're actually the same thing.

Every winter at some point I just have to do something different to my house. One year I painted the bathroom purple (a lovely shade of purple, and it was right before Tim and I got married--I knew it would be the last time I'd be able to do something girly in my house. . . until now) Another year we painted the living room beige. Another year I painted our family room blue, and last year I got red curtains (for $21!) for our big windows at the front of our house.

Several weeks ago I decided it might be fun to find something more summery for those windows, and this is what I found.


They were cheap--like $10 total, and it was so easy to switch them out with the old curtains since we already had the curtain rods up. I think this is going to be my "placemats" for the living room. I love placemats because you can change the look of your dining room every day, if you feel like it.

I just wasn't sure what Tim would think of having pink in or front living room. Kind of takes the classiness away. BUT, he said it might be a nice change. I think he pretty much lets me do anything as long as he can keep going skiing every weekend. That, and he bought a really big tv for Valentine's Day, so he kind of owes me.

Last week I needed to do something creative because it was snowing for about the 11th day in a row, and I had done all I could to survive it. . . catching up on laundry and balancing the checkbook and running on the treadmill and making nice dinners. So on one of those snow days I turned on my favorite radio station, found some inspiration from a creative page on the Internet, got out my paints, and did some batiking.

Actually, the batiking part was already done on the fabric; I just needed to add the color.

I really like this one, but I should have taken a picture of the whole thing before I put it in the frame because it looks really cool with all the colors I used.

Here it is on our mantle:



I also picked up some fresh flowers at the grocery store and framed a few other pieces that match the curtains:


We had our church Soup and Salad group at our house on Friday night, so I had to get our house all fixed up, and it felt amazing. By the way, this Soup and Salad experience (Soup and Salad are groups that we change twice a year so we can get to know a new set of families every now and then) was way better than the time we hosted back in October, when Tim came home right at 5:30 with blood rushing down his leg, and the kids were crying, and everyone had to help, and it totally made me nervous, even though I love to have people in our home. This time, one of the families brought their 4-year-old son along, and Ethan followed him around for the entire two hours, and when Kate screeched with joy, everyone kept saying how that was their favorite noise (yeah, right).

So. . . there you have it. How often can you just sit down and do something that you totally enjoy without feeling guilty like you should be doing something else?

Wow. I am so thankful for my life right now. I'm thankful that my kids take naps at the same time, and that spring is coming, and that I have a comfortable home, and a fun husband, and that I can worship Christ with my students at school, and that we will celebrate Easter this week.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Pulcheria said...

I love the new curtains. I'm glad your Soup and Salad night went better this time. Happy Easter!

sheree said...

The new decor is excellent! I really like the batik. (admittendly, I liked it more when I just saw the 1st picture and thought it was 3 feet tall)