Life has been crazy for the past month or so. Teaching seems to go in cycles. . . I can have everything under control for quite a while, but certain times of the year are just so much busier due to finals, report cards, parent conferences, etc. Here's an update on how our life has been going (questions that I would love for you to answer are in italics):
Halloween and Friendships:
For Halloween, we had our good friends over for some Halloween fun. The third friend in a series of pregnant friends had her baby the Sunday before Halloween (two weeks early), so she brought her parents along to our house for dinner.
I'm not a huge fan of Halloween, to be honest. (Forgive me if I've talked about this before.) Several years ago I handed out candy and didn't feel all that good about it afterwards. I'm not sure if it's because I don't want people finding their joy in unhealthy food, or if it's all the "children" who weren't really young enough to be trick-or-treating anymore who came to the door without costumes on, holding open their already-full pillowcases, who didn't even say trick-or-treat or thank you. Geez! I am such a Halloween Scrooge! I also don't really like gory costumes and dead bodies coming out of the lawn. Costumes are fun and many people have great Halloween traditions and I respect that. We will surely have some sort of Halloween traditions in my own family eventually. How do you celebrate Halloween in a safe and fun way?
Anyway, I didn't get candy this year, and we just put a nice sign on our door apologizing that we were out of candy. Then we enjoyed a nice relaxing dinner of spaghetti squash and frozen pumpkin pie (delish) with few interruptions. Well, that, of course, was not true, since we had an almost-two-year-old and three babies under four months. Poor little Paul (the newborn) was still getting used to the world, and he was sort of sad (but not too bad considering he wasn't even a week old). Oh, I am so glad to be done with those first few weeks (months?) of having a newborn. They are so incredibly exhausting.
I was thinking about it recently. . . some people reconsider having more children after experiencing pregnancy and the pain of childbirth. My reluctance comes from the memories of the lack of sleep and exhaustion in the days after the baby arrives. It's just a difficult time.
God definitely created each stage of a child's life with an amazing balance of joy and difficulty.
I was somewhat discouraged after our hectic Halloween meal with our friends. There was never a moment when all of us were sitting down all at once enjoying each other's company. There constantly was at least one child crying, and I wondered if we would ever be able to get together again to laugh and talk.
Paul was baptized the following Sunday, and we all went to IHOP afterwards. Of course our food took an eternity to arrive, and somehow not one baby and not one Ethan cried the entire time. Finally we were able to talk and joke around and I was completely uplifted. Maybe we'll figure out this parenthood thing yet. Maybe we'll need to have our Friday night Bible studies on Saturday morning when all the kids are in good moods. How are you able to enjoy time with your friends without going insane?
It's nice to have friends who have kids at the same stage as we do. It also makes me a bit nervous, to be completely honest. Until recently, we were the only ones with kids (I may have already talked about this, so sorry if I'm repeating myself) because our other friends with kids had moved away. It's tough being a parent, and sometimes we as parents don't really know what we're doing. I really believe that each child is different and there are many successful parenting techniques. At the same time, I don't want my friends, whom I respect, to think that I'm totally wrong in what I'm choosing to do with my kids. I am not using cloth diapers. I think it's noble to do so, and sometimes I wish I could. But from what I've heard, the jury is still out on how "green" they actually are, and my husband isn't on board with having cloth diapers anyway, so it just wouldn't be successful. And sometimes I'm afraid that my mini-guilt over not using cloth diapers might translate to judgment on my friends that are. That's just one example, and a poor one at that. I am praying for a content heart that feels acceptance from my fellow parenting friends. I guess we can just thank the Lord that we have each other to bounce ideas off of and to learn together. How do you handle differences in parenting techniques with your friends?
Kate's Book Shower:
Karen's book club friends had a book shower for Kate at the beginning of this month. I should have taken pictures of all the awesome books they gave her. I was overwhelmed, and probably Kate was too. Ethan has also loved many of the books Kate got. I'm trying to save at least a few as special books just for Kate so they're not all worn out by the time she is old enough to truly enjoy them. She likes reading now, but it's just not the same until she can open the little flaps and point.
Teaching:
As I said earlier, busyness comes in cycles. The weeks before finals are somewhat stressful because I'm trying to make sure I cover the most important information and use effective reviewing techniques, plus I'm writing study guides and the actual tests, then grading the tests, writing report card comments, and getting things ready for parent conferences.
This year we also wanted to help kids celebrate the end of finals, as well as think about the importance of having a role model. So we created Role Model Day, also known as Project Ro-Mo. It was an awesome day--everyone (teachers and students alike) dressed up as their role models and then students rotated around to different stations where they researched noble figures from around the world, did role model improv, created scrapbook pages, viewed short videos about people who overcame adversity, and had snacks made by the Home Ec kids.
I was brought to tears by the number of kids who dressed up as their mom, dad, uncle, cousin, brother, or sister. Few kids dressed up as sports heros or tv stars, and when they did, they always had a good reason for how that person has made a positive difference in the world.
I dressed up as my choir director from college, Dr. Held.
I couldn't get my hair to look like his, but Ethan's hair is close. . . .
Our Family:Halloween and Friendships:
For Halloween, we had our good friends over for some Halloween fun. The third friend in a series of pregnant friends had her baby the Sunday before Halloween (two weeks early), so she brought her parents along to our house for dinner.
I'm not a huge fan of Halloween, to be honest. (Forgive me if I've talked about this before.) Several years ago I handed out candy and didn't feel all that good about it afterwards. I'm not sure if it's because I don't want people finding their joy in unhealthy food, or if it's all the "children" who weren't really young enough to be trick-or-treating anymore who came to the door without costumes on, holding open their already-full pillowcases, who didn't even say trick-or-treat or thank you. Geez! I am such a Halloween Scrooge! I also don't really like gory costumes and dead bodies coming out of the lawn. Costumes are fun and many people have great Halloween traditions and I respect that. We will surely have some sort of Halloween traditions in my own family eventually. How do you celebrate Halloween in a safe and fun way?
Anyway, I didn't get candy this year, and we just put a nice sign on our door apologizing that we were out of candy. Then we enjoyed a nice relaxing dinner of spaghetti squash and frozen pumpkin pie (delish) with few interruptions. Well, that, of course, was not true, since we had an almost-two-year-old and three babies under four months. Poor little Paul (the newborn) was still getting used to the world, and he was sort of sad (but not too bad considering he wasn't even a week old). Oh, I am so glad to be done with those first few weeks (months?) of having a newborn. They are so incredibly exhausting.
I was thinking about it recently. . . some people reconsider having more children after experiencing pregnancy and the pain of childbirth. My reluctance comes from the memories of the lack of sleep and exhaustion in the days after the baby arrives. It's just a difficult time.
God definitely created each stage of a child's life with an amazing balance of joy and difficulty.
I was somewhat discouraged after our hectic Halloween meal with our friends. There was never a moment when all of us were sitting down all at once enjoying each other's company. There constantly was at least one child crying, and I wondered if we would ever be able to get together again to laugh and talk.
Paul was baptized the following Sunday, and we all went to IHOP afterwards. Of course our food took an eternity to arrive, and somehow not one baby and not one Ethan cried the entire time. Finally we were able to talk and joke around and I was completely uplifted. Maybe we'll figure out this parenthood thing yet. Maybe we'll need to have our Friday night Bible studies on Saturday morning when all the kids are in good moods. How are you able to enjoy time with your friends without going insane?
It's nice to have friends who have kids at the same stage as we do. It also makes me a bit nervous, to be completely honest. Until recently, we were the only ones with kids (I may have already talked about this, so sorry if I'm repeating myself) because our other friends with kids had moved away. It's tough being a parent, and sometimes we as parents don't really know what we're doing. I really believe that each child is different and there are many successful parenting techniques. At the same time, I don't want my friends, whom I respect, to think that I'm totally wrong in what I'm choosing to do with my kids. I am not using cloth diapers. I think it's noble to do so, and sometimes I wish I could. But from what I've heard, the jury is still out on how "green" they actually are, and my husband isn't on board with having cloth diapers anyway, so it just wouldn't be successful. And sometimes I'm afraid that my mini-guilt over not using cloth diapers might translate to judgment on my friends that are. That's just one example, and a poor one at that. I am praying for a content heart that feels acceptance from my fellow parenting friends. I guess we can just thank the Lord that we have each other to bounce ideas off of and to learn together. How do you handle differences in parenting techniques with your friends?
Kate's Book Shower:
Karen's book club friends had a book shower for Kate at the beginning of this month. I should have taken pictures of all the awesome books they gave her. I was overwhelmed, and probably Kate was too. Ethan has also loved many of the books Kate got. I'm trying to save at least a few as special books just for Kate so they're not all worn out by the time she is old enough to truly enjoy them. She likes reading now, but it's just not the same until she can open the little flaps and point.
Teaching:
As I said earlier, busyness comes in cycles. The weeks before finals are somewhat stressful because I'm trying to make sure I cover the most important information and use effective reviewing techniques, plus I'm writing study guides and the actual tests, then grading the tests, writing report card comments, and getting things ready for parent conferences.
This year we also wanted to help kids celebrate the end of finals, as well as think about the importance of having a role model. So we created Role Model Day, also known as Project Ro-Mo. It was an awesome day--everyone (teachers and students alike) dressed up as their role models and then students rotated around to different stations where they researched noble figures from around the world, did role model improv, created scrapbook pages, viewed short videos about people who overcame adversity, and had snacks made by the Home Ec kids.
I was brought to tears by the number of kids who dressed up as their mom, dad, uncle, cousin, brother, or sister. Few kids dressed up as sports heros or tv stars, and when they did, they always had a good reason for how that person has made a positive difference in the world.
I dressed up as my choir director from college, Dr. Held.
I couldn't get my hair to look like his, but Ethan's hair is close. . . .
God has blessed our area with some unusually warm weather the past few weeks. I never really minded when the time changed from Daylight Savings until I had kids. Now it's difficult to make it outside after naps before dark. This past Sunday Tim, Kate, and I went to our favorite trail so Tim could ride with his friend Darin and I could hike with my friend Tera and Kate could sleep with her friend Paul. (Update: oh my, that is not at all what it is supposed to sound like. . . sorry, it's getting late.)
"Where's Ethan?" you may ask.
Ethan was in Texas for five days last week. His grandma took him on a trip to see his Great-Grandma. He had a full day of traveling (11 hours, including a 3-hour van shuttle and two plane rides via Minneapolis). He did really well and Tim and I had the best time being just the two of us with our littlest one. Remember what an adjustment it is after your first baby is born, and everything seems to take so much time and you wonder what you ever did with all your time before you had a child? Well, we were completely overjoyed to have *just* a baby to take care of. . . no toys to pick up, no rules to enforce, no preparing snacks and cleaning up after dinner, and no being home by 7:30 so we can get the kid to bed.
We were thrilled to see him when he came home, and I kept thinking about how terribly different my perspective would be if something were to happen to Ethan and he weren't able to come home, but for five days, and an opportunity for him to bond with his grandma and meet his great-grandma and great-uncle and great-aunt, it was so worth it.
The highlight for Tim and me was Friday night. On our way home from Bible study, we realized we were in no rush to get home. Kate was sound asleep in her carseat, and we had no need to be at home. Usually we have to get home, as I said, to put Ethan to bed, and then we're stuck there, or we have a babysitter, and I feel bad staying out too late.
Not this night. We did some Christmas shopping, and then we went to Denny's for the most chocolate-y milkshake we have ever had. I cannot describe the freedom we felt. It was so good for us to feel young again and hang out with all those young late-night kids that frequent the local Denny's.
Also while Ethan was gone, I was able to stay caught up on the dishes, laundry, exercising, and other household chores. And now I have renewed hope and desire to stay caught up on those things. I highly recommend that anyone with kids take advantage of a relative's offer to take your kid(s) off your hands for short periods of time. It's good for everyone. When was a time you felt unexpectedly renewed? Have you ever sent your kids away? Are we terrible for enjoying it just a little?
Ethan came home on Tuesday, and I got a little teary-eyed seeing him again. It was great having him home. Coming soon. . . his birthday celebration and now he's sick!
And I guess that's "all."
Ethan was in Texas for five days last week. His grandma took him on a trip to see his Great-Grandma. He had a full day of traveling (11 hours, including a 3-hour van shuttle and two plane rides via Minneapolis). He did really well and Tim and I had the best time being just the two of us with our littlest one. Remember what an adjustment it is after your first baby is born, and everything seems to take so much time and you wonder what you ever did with all your time before you had a child? Well, we were completely overjoyed to have *just* a baby to take care of. . . no toys to pick up, no rules to enforce, no preparing snacks and cleaning up after dinner, and no being home by 7:30 so we can get the kid to bed.
We were thrilled to see him when he came home, and I kept thinking about how terribly different my perspective would be if something were to happen to Ethan and he weren't able to come home, but for five days, and an opportunity for him to bond with his grandma and meet his great-grandma and great-uncle and great-aunt, it was so worth it.
The highlight for Tim and me was Friday night. On our way home from Bible study, we realized we were in no rush to get home. Kate was sound asleep in her carseat, and we had no need to be at home. Usually we have to get home, as I said, to put Ethan to bed, and then we're stuck there, or we have a babysitter, and I feel bad staying out too late.
Not this night. We did some Christmas shopping, and then we went to Denny's for the most chocolate-y milkshake we have ever had. I cannot describe the freedom we felt. It was so good for us to feel young again and hang out with all those young late-night kids that frequent the local Denny's.
Also while Ethan was gone, I was able to stay caught up on the dishes, laundry, exercising, and other household chores. And now I have renewed hope and desire to stay caught up on those things. I highly recommend that anyone with kids take advantage of a relative's offer to take your kid(s) off your hands for short periods of time. It's good for everyone. When was a time you felt unexpectedly renewed? Have you ever sent your kids away? Are we terrible for enjoying it just a little?
Ethan came home on Tuesday, and I got a little teary-eyed seeing him again. It was great having him home. Coming soon. . . his birthday celebration and now he's sick!
And I guess that's "all."

2 comments:
Great post, Kristin. I had fun reading your updates. Life definitely gets busier and busier and busier.....
To answer your question: How are you able to enjoy time with your friends without going insane? We lock our kids in the attic. (j/k) Honestly, those days are long gone. We have just learned that if there is no blood, the party can continue and the crying will eventually take care of itself. :)
Thanks for sharing. Your early posts post-Kate were so cheerful and under control (I was a little suspect).
For the record, I think you're parenting is great. I don't judge your diapering choices (on condition you don't judge me for letting my baby sleep on his belly with a pillow and a mountain of blankets--gasp!)
I am also a little sad that I couldn't go shopping this evening when the stores were quiet, since I had to feed Jackson and put him to bed on time.
Post a Comment