Tim and I had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. School ended for me on Friday, so on Saturday I felt like I could start getting our house back in order. Thankfully, it's been going more quickly than I expected.
First let me tell about all our fun activities of the weekend. We had a half-day on Friday, so we had lunch at Gabe and Karen's house for the entire church and school staff. It was fun to be able to talk with everyone and just start relaxing. The last few weeks of school were incredibly busy and intense.
After that I took a nap before I picked up Ethan from the sitter's. I needed that nap! I had been staying up late and getting up early. . . which reminds me of the outing we had on Thursday night. Our friend Andy was visiting from Arizona, so after 8th grade graduation, we went out for appetizers with a bunch of our friends and stayed out past 11 o'clock! That was wild and crazy for us; I haven't been out that late in a very long time! Most of the friends we typically hang out with are in bed by 8:30! ha ha. Anyway, it was so great to see Andy and to be around "young" people again. We laughed so hard. (And thanks to Karen who kept Ethan during our crazy night out.)
So after my Friday afternoon nap, I picked up Ethan, and Tim and I decided to do something low key for Friday night, but we didn't really feel like staying at home. That was partly because our house was so messy because I hadn't been picking up very well all week long. Who wants to relax in a messy house? Thankfully, our friends Beca and Steve called to see if wanted to go for dinner to celebrate Beca's last day of work. She's going to stay at home with her baby, which is due pretty much the same day as our baby.
Dinner out was wonderful--Ethan was so good all night long, even though we kept him out past his bed time. He made being a parent seem like so much fun. He listened to us and played and laughed and didn't whine once! And he has started talking more, so when he saw the trains outside the restaurant, he did his little "choo-choo" thing. We also went for a walk and baked cookies at Beca and Steve's house. Oh, and we saw all of Baby Phinn's cool baby gear. He's even going to have a remote control, vibrating pack and play! The kid's already got more clothes than Ethan, and he's not even born! (Thanks to Phinn's grandparents on both sides; his parents are really quite practical.)
Saturday I relaxed some with Ethan and cleaned the house. Once I got going, it wasn't too bad. I still have to go through a bunch of our closets and cupboards, but the house looked much better in no time.
We had friends over for a bbq on Saturday night. We shared stories about how our husbands proposed. Our friends Greg and Nancy are a little bit older than us, and they always laugh when we ask them to tell us a story. "Oh, Grandma and Grandpa, tell us another one!" It was a great night. It wasn't warm enough to eat outside, but we had good food and good memories.
Sunday we went to church and Tim and Ethan took a nap. Tim has been recovering from a mean cold, which has delayed his triathlon training considerably. I'm hoping he can get back into it soon.
Sunday night we had Gabe and Karen and Kristi over for another delicious barbecue in celebration of Gabe and Karen's 35th wedding anniversary. I made strawberry-peach salsa with marinated chicken, asparagus, salad, and apple cobbler. Cooking can be fun when it's for the right people. G and K were impressed because they know how far I've come in my cooking skills!
Sunday night and Monday I worked on going through a huge box of clothes my niece gave me for Baby. I couldn't believe all the clothes! I still think I might like boy clothes better, but the selection for girls' clothes is clearly more vast.
More pictures of baby's room to come. It's really looking cute! And VERY girly (not the plan, but that's how it's working out).
Part way through Monday morning, we took Ethan for a hike while Tim and his friend went for a mountain bike ride. Here he is on the car ride to the trail head. He carried that wrench and a little back-pack mirror for the entire hike.

First let me tell about all our fun activities of the weekend. We had a half-day on Friday, so we had lunch at Gabe and Karen's house for the entire church and school staff. It was fun to be able to talk with everyone and just start relaxing. The last few weeks of school were incredibly busy and intense.
After that I took a nap before I picked up Ethan from the sitter's. I needed that nap! I had been staying up late and getting up early. . . which reminds me of the outing we had on Thursday night. Our friend Andy was visiting from Arizona, so after 8th grade graduation, we went out for appetizers with a bunch of our friends and stayed out past 11 o'clock! That was wild and crazy for us; I haven't been out that late in a very long time! Most of the friends we typically hang out with are in bed by 8:30! ha ha. Anyway, it was so great to see Andy and to be around "young" people again. We laughed so hard. (And thanks to Karen who kept Ethan during our crazy night out.)
So after my Friday afternoon nap, I picked up Ethan, and Tim and I decided to do something low key for Friday night, but we didn't really feel like staying at home. That was partly because our house was so messy because I hadn't been picking up very well all week long. Who wants to relax in a messy house? Thankfully, our friends Beca and Steve called to see if wanted to go for dinner to celebrate Beca's last day of work. She's going to stay at home with her baby, which is due pretty much the same day as our baby.
Dinner out was wonderful--Ethan was so good all night long, even though we kept him out past his bed time. He made being a parent seem like so much fun. He listened to us and played and laughed and didn't whine once! And he has started talking more, so when he saw the trains outside the restaurant, he did his little "choo-choo" thing. We also went for a walk and baked cookies at Beca and Steve's house. Oh, and we saw all of Baby Phinn's cool baby gear. He's even going to have a remote control, vibrating pack and play! The kid's already got more clothes than Ethan, and he's not even born! (Thanks to Phinn's grandparents on both sides; his parents are really quite practical.)
Saturday I relaxed some with Ethan and cleaned the house. Once I got going, it wasn't too bad. I still have to go through a bunch of our closets and cupboards, but the house looked much better in no time.
We had friends over for a bbq on Saturday night. We shared stories about how our husbands proposed. Our friends Greg and Nancy are a little bit older than us, and they always laugh when we ask them to tell us a story. "Oh, Grandma and Grandpa, tell us another one!" It was a great night. It wasn't warm enough to eat outside, but we had good food and good memories.
Sunday we went to church and Tim and Ethan took a nap. Tim has been recovering from a mean cold, which has delayed his triathlon training considerably. I'm hoping he can get back into it soon.
Sunday night we had Gabe and Karen and Kristi over for another delicious barbecue in celebration of Gabe and Karen's 35th wedding anniversary. I made strawberry-peach salsa with marinated chicken, asparagus, salad, and apple cobbler. Cooking can be fun when it's for the right people. G and K were impressed because they know how far I've come in my cooking skills!
Sunday night and Monday I worked on going through a huge box of clothes my niece gave me for Baby. I couldn't believe all the clothes! I still think I might like boy clothes better, but the selection for girls' clothes is clearly more vast.
More pictures of baby's room to come. It's really looking cute! And VERY girly (not the plan, but that's how it's working out).
Part way through Monday morning, we took Ethan for a hike while Tim and his friend went for a mountain bike ride. Here he is on the car ride to the trail head. He carried that wrench and a little back-pack mirror for the entire hike.
Kristi was the beef-ma girl who carried Ethan the whole way. I wasn't about to do it, but I'm sure I could if I weren't pregnant! Notice the looming clouds.
Here's Kristi, Ethan, and Grandma. It sprinkled the entire way back down the trail, but the rain didn't really start until we got to the car. Perfect timing!

No comments:
Post a Comment